Quarantine Cages???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dawn419, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Just wondering what everyone uses for quarantining?

I'm in the process of converting an unused rabbit hutch for quarantine and could use some ideas.

I pulled most of the lumber off of the front, removed the old wire and will be sanitizing it today. I will also be doing a food grade DE whitewash, inside & out.

Any ideas are much appreciated!

Pic of the project...

[​IMG]

Measurements are:

L: 109" (9' 1")
    W: 27" (2' 3")
    H: 55" (4' 7")

Dawn

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Good idea. I just use a large dog kennel in the bsmt bathroom or one on the covered deck. Well, I USED those since I've only had to quarantine one bird ever. It worked out fine, though since no other birds could breathe the same air.

3. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Should I make it where they have access to the ground (small attached run) or does that defeat the quarantine process?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It does defeat your purpose, Dawn. I'd just hold firm and keep them caged till quarantine was over. It's the safest way. I hated that period, but it was necessary. I did feel bad for Hawkeye, but he was better off in a dog kennel that that mucky dark pen I got him from.

5. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Thanks Cynthia! [​IMG]

That just saved me alot of useless work and time!

No problems here (knocks on wood), but I want to be prepared beforehand. We'll be adding a few SSH pullets to the flock eventually.

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by