Quarantine eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChristieB, Jan 1, 2015.

1. ChristieB

ChristieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    Hi all, I have only 3 young bantams left of my flock (4 were roosters one disappeared while we were away over the Christmas weekend, our dog got in the run so we assume the worst)
    so tomorrow I'm getting some new chookies. 1 first year layer and 3 10 week olds, standard size of various breeds.
    My first question, can we eat any eggs laid during quarantine? I would assume yes.
    Second can I put 10 week olds in with the hen? Or should I set up another pen for her
    And third how do I introduce standards to bantams, everything says to wait till they are similar size but obviously that's not going to happen.
    Thanks for any help :) I'm so excited, can't wait to have a chicken rainbow in my front yard

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    yes you can eat the eggs.

Where are you getting them? Are the new ones new to each other?

I don't have bantams so someone else will need to chime in.

MRs K

3. ChristieB

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    All the new ones are from the same farm but I'm not sure if they have met,
    I guess if she brings them all in the same box it would be ok to keep them together

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Confused by title of thread.....what eggs?

Putting the new ones all together in the new place night work out OK...territoriality might not be an issue as with most other integration's.

Bantams and LF....not sure about that one, have no bantams. Lots of folks have mixed flocks, can depend on individual birds. Just follow all the usual integration techniques(except size aspect of course)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  5. ChristieB

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    Sorry I did actually try to change the title but couldn't. I was wondering about the eggs possibly laid by the first year layer during the quarantine.
    I've only ever added to a flock once before and that was birds from the same hatch from the same breeder well before laying (they still aren't laying age yet) all other flocks I've had I got them at pol and had just those till the end of their life, this time I'm replacing roosters.
    I guess I'm just worried about the hen pecking at the younger ones from being in a relatively small space for a month

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yes, the eggs laid during quarantine can be consumed safely - the quarantine is simply to prevent the transmission of any illness between new bird and existing flock, but these illnessses are not anything that would effect the eggs or their consumability or that could/would infect humans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by