Quarantine my chickens with tapeworm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chelleigh, Feb 27, 2012.

1. chelleigh

chelleigh Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Dickson, TN
    My 2 hens have tapeworms for sure. Thanks to the awesome information on the forum I have already started them on some Wazine and have my Valbzen ordered to give in 10 days. They have been quarantined in their run/coop to make sure they got their Wazine dose and have not been allowed out to range since. I am wondering if I need to keep them locked up in their run/coop until there are no more signs of tapeworms in their poop? I am concerned about exposure to my young children and my dog (who I have already dewormed as well since she finds chicken poop to be a great treat. Yuck!). We don't have acres for our chickens to range on so they are essentially right outside the back door and I am imagining that having them pooping tapeworms all over the yard where my dog and kids play isn't ideal. Thoughts?

I am also wondering about cleaning out the coop and run to prevent reinfestation. How often does this need to be done during the worming process to clear infested poo?

Thanks for any help!

2. larsonll

larsonll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    West Georgia
    Remember that tapeworms usually have a determinant host, meaning that chicken tapeworms USUALLY do not infect other species, i.e. your dogs or your children. That being said, I would personally restrict your children and your dogs to not be where your chickens defecate (poop) in the next month.

I have a masters in veterinary parasitology, but I am not at veterinarian. I ended up on the "dark side", being a human doctor after the degree at the vet school.

As for where your chickens have already pooped, I would again be careful about letting your dogs or kids be in those areas for at least the next month to be sure.

3. chelleigh

chelleigh Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Dickson, TN
    Thank you. I feel better about my family getting those tapeworms. I have been keeping them locked in their run during the deworming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by