Quarantine question for the experts...2 weeks for "vet checked" birds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rockin' Reds, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Hi all. I have never added adult birds to my flock before and I have a question about quarantine. I bought a RIR cockerel and 2 Australorp pullets recently at the Colorado State Fair and was told by the poultry director there that I should only need to quarantine for 2 weeks since all the birds were "vet checked" before check-in at the fair. I did my own inspection of course, and they are free of mites and lice and they appear healthy. It has been 2 weeks now, and no signs of any trouble so far. I read Speckled Hen's flock management guide and I understand that 4 weeks is the usual quarantine period. So, my question is, since the birds were "vet checked" at the fair is 2 weeks sufficient or should I go the full 4 weeks? I went in prepared to do 4, so that's really no problem for me. I was just wondering if the "vet check" trumps that or not. I would so much rather err on the side of caution, but wanted to get opinions from those who have more experience with this than I do. [​IMG]

2. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Since you went in expecting 4 weeks, I would stick to 4 weeks. Better safe than sorry.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Depends on what you mean "vet-checked". Did they do blood tests to see if they are carriers for CRD? If not, I'd stick with the 4 weeks, or even longer. If you're going to quarantine, might as well do it all the way, IMO.

4. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

I would stick with 4 weeks since even if they drew blood it couldn't possibly to test for every conceivable germ they could bring to your current flock. Like you said, better safe than sorry. I would completely do the same.

Congrats on the new birds!

5. Rockin' Reds

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    No...no blood test. The lady did tell me that the cockerel came from an NPIP certified flock though; however, I have all 3 of them together (2 pullets are not from NPIP cert flock) so I guess that doesn't really matter anymore. Cynthia, by longer, am I to assume you mean 6 weeks?

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Since they were at the State Fair, they were exposed to a lot of chickens. You never know what diseases they might have been exposed to. The vet chceck will check for certain things but not all. Personally, I'd leave them for the full four weeks.

If you want to err on the side of caution, I'd suggest you pick your most expendable hen and put her in with them. There are some diseases that chickens can have but they develop an immunity to. No matter how long you quarantine them, they will never show any sign of a problem. But if your flock has not developed that same immunity, they can catch it. Coccidiosis is a simple example but there are other more serious things that they can have without showing any symptoms. It is even possible that your flock could infect the new ones. I think it is better to risk one hen than 10.

7. Rockin' Reds

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Thanks for the great advice everyone!! I will keep them quarantined for 4 or more weeks just to be safe. Ridgerunner....I had actually never even thought of having something passed in the other direction. Thanks for the heads up! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by