1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quarantine question--how to be sure?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Schrebergaertner, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Schrebergaertner

Schrebergaertner Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    A friend had to get rid of his five one-year-old hens. In the past, we've only added hatchlings to our flock, so we are starting these new birds in a separate coop. I understand 30 days is the standard quarantine period, and we are getting close to that point. None of the new birds is showing any obvious signs of disease, but I'm wondering if there are more subtle things we should be looking for. And I've also heard that even healthy birds can be carriers. So is there any way to be 100% sure the new birds are safe to integrate into the flock after their quarantine period?

Thanks very much!

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You can never be 100% sure. And your existing flock could be carriers of something that the new flock hasn't been exposed to. Which is why I don't really see the point in quarantine.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    You can sacrifice a single bird from your original flock. Put her in with the new flock. If she does not get sick, more than likely things will be safe. I have heard this referred to as the canary in the mine shaft method.

When you say you have quarantined for 30 days? How did you do it? If the birds were not kept at least 100 feet apart, and you have not changed your shoes from caring for one group to the other, the quarantine may already be broken. It is hard to do a true quarantine on a small back yard. If you have, good, if you haven't, you may be just lucky and your birds are safe.

Mrs K

4. Schrebergaertner

Schrebergaertner Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Thanks very much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by