Quarantine question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cposz, Jun 27, 2010.

1. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    We have 3 hens and will soon be adding a couple of new girls to our household flock. But I have an important question.
    We will be getting these new chicks from a friend who ordered 5 chicks from a hatchery to supplement his small backyard flock. They are still young at about 6 weeks old and all of the chicks have been kept in his brooder since the day he got them - completely separate from the rest of his flock.
    I know we will have to wait until the chicks are at least almost as big as our other hens to put them in our coop, which will likely be at least a couple of weeks. BUT, since they have been kept with other chicks in isolation from the rest of his flock, would we still have to quarantine them for another 30 days when we get them? It seems to me that they have, in effect, been quarantined for 6 weeks already - no?

2. cposz

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Anyone?

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Had to think about that for a few moments. Seems to me that it doesn't matter that they were quarantined at your friend's house or your's. Providing there was no sign of illness in any of the shipment and they were not exposed to your friends birds.

Imp- good luck with the integration

4. cposz

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Thanks - that is the way I'm thinking. But I have read so many warnings here about quarantining your new birds for 30 days no matter where they came from, so I just wanted to check and be sure before I bring them home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by