Quarantine Questions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redsoxs, Aug 9, 2011.

1. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I'm a newbie so I'm sure this has been answered before but here goes...I have 25 hatchery chicks coming into tomorrow or the next day. Sundsay I also brought home two chicks about 2 weeks old from a "breeder." The conditions these birds were kept under....don't even get me started. But so far they look really good - they eat, drink, poop seems fine, they're active, etc.
    Question 1: What is the satisfactory quarantine period? I've read posts ranging from 10 to 40 days.
    Question 2: How far do the quarantined birds have to be from the new chicks? The new ones will be in 2 groups in 100 gallon rubbermaid tanks. Right now I have the two I picked up are in a little rubber tote (plenty of room for them). As long as there is no contact, can the containers be right beside each other for the specified quarantine time or should they be apart?
    Thanks!!

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Ideally they should be apart to the point where they are not in the same room even. Especially since they came from a not so trusted source.

One very real concern is the threat of upper respiratory diseases. Tiny babies will be very vulnerable, so be overly cautious and keep them apart for at least 4 weeks and always wash hands in between handling, maybe designate an apron for use with the quarantined two, so potential germs will not be on your clothes.

Sure it is a hassle, but the last thing you want is 25 sick or dying babies.

Hope it all turns out well for you.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Thanks, emys, for the reply. I will do as you suggest - I don't want to lose the 25 for the 2! [​IMG] Really appreciate you sending - the new chicks arrive today!!! Thank you!!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quarantine the 2 chicks for at least 4-6 weeks, that's how long it takes some diseases to show themselves, even then it's not a 100% guarantee, but an acceptable amount of time. Some diseases are carried airborne, on clothing/shoes, hands etc...The further away from your new chicks, the better. How you do it is up to you. I applaud you for thinking biosecurity alleviating possible headaches and heartaches!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by