quarantine rooster: is he well enough?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Erica, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi everybody, just hoping for some gut instincts on this one.

I've been given an australorp rooster for utility breeding and I've had him in quarantine for a while now.

He seems quite well with clear nose (i.e. no runny nostrils) and no sneeze, but there are a few minor qualms.

One is that he trembles all the time. This has been going on since arrival even though his shed is the warmest and dryest in my yard (with lots of fresh clean straw). He doesn't have mites and has been wormed.

The other is that his feathers have a purple instead of beetle green sheen, especially the tail.

He's a little smaller than usual australorps though he's not thin (he's on 18% grower now. I gather he was on 15% layer pellets at the old home).

Apart from everything above he seems well, with a bright comb/wattles and reasonably clear eyes and nose. While his eyes aren't quite as bright as my birds' eyes I still can't see anything to put my finger on. He doesn't sneeze and his droppings are normal (after one day of foamy liquid on arrival, which may have been stress).

I'm really in two minds over this. I'd hate to cull him unnecessarily but I do have to finish the quarantine and make a decision soon. Any ideas?

EDIT: Forgot to say, he's about 20 weeks old.

Many thanks,
    Erica

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would give him back. There's no sense in breeding with an outright genetically poor specimen. He's got problems. Sounds like a neuro problem, and it seems his growth is stunted, and he may not be a purebred if he's not the right sheen. You need a nice robust healthy roo to breed your girls to. I know you said Utility. But he may pass on some problems and make the offspring unhealthy.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The trembling could be a neurological issue. I recommend that you give him vitamin E. You can buy 400UI vitamin E gel/oil capsules for humans. Slit the end of one and give him a drop. Treat daily until you see improvement. It also might help in his feather coloring. At 20 weeks old, he still has abit of growing to do.

4. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Many thanks for those solid answers! Very helpful. [​IMG]

5. theparrotletdude

theparrotletdude Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Take him to a vet for a check-up [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by