Quarantine time frames what are yours??

Going Quackers

Crowing
12 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
I don't usually need to do this, as i mainly raise my own, and/or raise from ducklings so they grow indoors for a few weeks and move out, anyways... i recently (like a week ago lol) obtained a new duck she's between 5/6mths i'd say, she's supposedly a June hatch but i have a 4mth old and i am thinking she's a bit older due to size anyways, she is isolated from my flock, penned way down and has a small pred proof box, that said my other ducks do come around and "talk" to her.. she's starting to pace the pen however.

She'll need to be clipped as she can fly and while i do allow my birds that option a newbie i don't think should, I have several birds in abouts her aging, 3 Muscovy drakes, 1 duck and 2 buffs(females) from June and then 2 more drakes and 1 duck from March that are the main visitors to her now, i would like to assume she would go off with them, the rest of the ducks are mature.. next youngest being over 1yo and then up from there. I'd still house her separate at night, but trying to sort when i should let her out?

She's from a breeder, not an auction or tailgate sale, from winning exhibition lines, she appears healthy and i did see pictures of her last home which including water pools and a large penned area, so housing was on the the up and up.

Just worried as we're about to get cold here and she is singularly housed, she'd be more comfortable housed in a building with more birds(warmth) but i have to be mindful of coarse of my main flocks health.

Not much experience with ducks but seems similar dangers exist for all fowl. Since many things can spread a long way through the air my technique is at least 2 weeks and at least 40 feet away. After a week or so, I take one of my flock and put it with the new bird. Kind of a sacrificial lamb. If that one does ok I figure all is well. Also checking for parasites all the time.

There isn't anyone whom i can put with her and being Muscovy they can be kind of ... well, the claws and the attitude are best NOT sorted in confined places lol

She is quite a distance(actually 100-150ft away from my main ducks housing but the birds all free range) but i cannot put her any further and i am not to worried about airbone stuff she doesn't house with them, and is in top shape overall, ducks fortunately are not as concerning as chickens(not free of, don't get me wrong but there are less concerns)

Thank you though!

Last edited:
Here's my new addition. Inside a wire crate that is inside my barn housing/brooder area (which I really don't know that I should have done)... But, the last time I acquired a new duck I just did that overnight and that was it. That duck's previous home environment I didn't see at all. This duck's environment was not so hot, hence how I've got him now. He was the only duck at his other place. What do y'all think?

Edited for Spelling. My Apologies for typo!

Last edited:
Update on my quarantine: first off I noticed that my new addition has not ate much... But he was poking about the feed (Good news). Also today I was able to examine some good poos and all that looks very good. But I'm still keeping him outdoors in the cage while my flock can see and hear him.

I think some places keep the ducks quarantined till fecal and blood tests come back, others wait a number of weeks. Wish I had a better answer.

There isn't anyone here who would run those and considering just a "barn call" costs me 50$ NOT about to happen lol She's doing well, i haven't really sorted out how i'll handle it, tricky, the temps are rapidly dropping, possibly snow moving in by Thursday so i am a bit worried in regards to that.

Here's my new addition. Inside a wire crate that is inside my barn housing/brooder area (which I really don't know that I should have done)... But, the last time I acquired a new duck I just did that overnight and that was it. That duck's previous home environment I didn't see at all. This dick's environment was not so hot, hence how I've got him now. He was the only duck at his other place. What do y'all think?

Cute! yeah, it's a tough call. If the environment wasn't so good that maybe an issue, ducks on the whole are hardy critters and withstand a fair bit. I saw pics of this birds environment she's from a breeder with multiple wins under his belt for the breed itself. Doesn't make it any easier mind you, that's why i actually dislike bringing in older birds and avoid it as much as possible lol But it am just not getting enough females, i only got two this year from my own breeding.

I know what you mean exactly. In fact, I'd decided last year to never bring in another adult. ... But I'm soft, you know. This guy was all by himself and I just couldn't see him lasting long along under the conditions he came from. Today he looks better, but he is still in the cage, but outside with my flock while they range. The poops I see are looking normal, maybe a little more white than I'm used to seeing, but ok. Nothing moving or anything like that. I did offer him a spaghetti squash for insurance. Vitamins in the water too. He was very slow to eat the pellets, that I think is bcz he wasn't getting reg feed. Nares, eyes, feathers, feet all look healthy. But oh my, if you could have heard him growling at me last night. He was worse than a broody mom. That was really strange. Never heard a drake make that noise ever. FWIW, I absolutely did not want a drake. But I did want to rescue him no matter what he was.

I guess as we quarantine, we make observations and take notes, right?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom