Quarantine times

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cherokeerainbow, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Cherokeerainbow

Cherokeerainbow Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    Turner, Maine
    7) Practice good biosecurity..disinfect shoes before and after visting the feedstore and shows, quarantine new birds, etc Under no circumstances, sell, trade, or give away a bird that shows sign of infection or has contacted another bird who shows signs of infection, or comes from a flock that has shown signs of infection, now or in the past.

Just wondering how long? 3-5 days? 7-10? 30? If the new birds are sick, they should show symptoms within a few days...?
    If they carry something, they may never have symptoms anyway...

Thanks,
    just trying to be safe...

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

To me, the minimum quarantine should be 4-6 weeks. You are correct, that often, a carrier bird may not show signs of his illness in that period. I have heard of someone who infected their flock because of a carrier bird, even though she quarantined for about five weeks. The symptoms showed in six weeks. Sometimes, just the stress of a new environment will bring up symptoms to I.D. the newly purchased bird as a carrier, but not always.

3. hippiechicks

hippiechicks In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2009
    OHIO Go Bucks!!
    How far away do you keep the birdswhen you Quarantine ?

4. speckledhen

They should not be able to see each other or breath the same general air. I kept my rooster in a dog kennel in the bsmt and sometimes, took him up on the deck for sunshine, high above the heads of my flock.

5. Cherokeerainbow

Cherokeerainbow Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    Turner, Maine
    Good grief...
    I've probably already compromised my quarantine then. OMG. As they are up high enough up so that no way they can touch or get near feces ect. And on the other side of the property...But, my aussies can walk underneath the pen, as its only 4 ft high or so. I think they were over there yesterday too...wonderful [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'll move them just in case...and in the future I'll keep them in the shop above the garage...way away.
    Thank you for all your help!
    Keep your fingers crossed for me please!!

6. speckledhen

Don't get too stressed over it. I tend to stress alot so I just don't buy started birds. Not worth raising the blood pressure. Just do the best you can and hopefully, all will be well.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with speckledhen. I quarantine for at least 4 weeks and generally longer. I have had mine close enough where they can see each other but far enough so they can't interact or breath the same air. I guess I've been lucky as I've had no problems or illnesses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: