Quarantine

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mjdtexan, Jan 19, 2009.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I see that the general wisdom says to hold any birds away from your flock that you may get for 30 days so that if they have a disease your primary flock will not catch sick or worse die. Makes since.

My question is this, ┬┐during this 30 day observation period are these new birds being tested for disease or are you just watching them to see if they "seem" sick?

Mike D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Just watching since most major illnesses will be apparent by then.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Sometimes even though we do watch them for the 30 days and they show no symptoms they can be carriers. Be very careful of where you get your birds from and if possible see where they were kept. Look at the rest of their flock or if none ask what happened to them. Some birds live through some really bad stuff and then show no symptoms but infect others later. Good luck with your new birds. I had rather start with day olds or a place I really trust. jean

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Because even a six week quarantine may not reveal carrier birds, I do not buy started birds, from anyone for any reason. Quarantine may show symptoms, but there is an outside chance that it wont.

5. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:No no, I dont have any new birds, I've just been reading post and I was curious about the procedure. Thanks for the good luck wish though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by