1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quarantine

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silkiechick05, Dec 12, 2009.

1. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    How long do I keep them separate?

What am i looking for as illness goes?

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    2-4 weeks. Just anything out of the ordinary from your other birds. Like droopiness, pale comb, etc.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Really, a minimum of 4 weeks, 6 weeks is better, but no quarantine is perfect. And do not use an antibiotics during that time, no matter what shows up. Quarantine is to hope that a carrier bird will show symptoms so that you do not add a sick bird to your flock, not so you can treat illnesses (other than worms/lice/mites). Listen for odd breathing, check eyes and nares for discharge, observe everything.

4. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Okay. I am a little worried, only because i am only getting one new one, not two as i had originally planned.

Chickens are flock animals, and I don't want my new bird to get lonely and what not.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

4-6 weeks is usually recommended and then put one of your own birds in with them for another 4 week time period. At the end of that time period if they're all still healthy more than likely they won't give each other any illnesses.

7. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Thanks! I will definitely check this out.

Would they be able to stay in the same room together or do they have to be completely separated?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by