1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quarantine..........

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gavinandallison, Nov 9, 2010.

1. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    I am looking to add some more birds to my small flock of B.R's. How long must I keep the newbies in quarantine for? A friend has an Americana hen he purchased this weekas a pair, one is not a full pedigree, he has got it in a quarantine cage but he offered it to me for free, how long til I can let it run with the others?

2. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    Most agree that you should quarantine new birds for 30 days away from your flock.

3. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    30 days is a good time period. I would during this time de-worm and use an natural antiviral in their water to ward off and unwanted viruses. I have been asked what I use to deworm and what I use as an anti viral. I use roasted garlic with brown rice , each morning for 3 days and I use Elderberry Concentrate/syrup in their water, put in enough so the water looks med purple pink in color, changed daily for 5 days.
    I get the Elderberry thru my local natural food/ supplament store. You can also get it online. I and hubby use it since my body cannot keep a healthy white count and since we started using it over 5 years ago we dont get viruses or colds anymore.

4. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    also quite important in bringing in a new bird is knowing its history, which often includes buying it from a trustworthy owner. If you are able to see the coop it was in, better yet. Just make sure that there are no visible signs of disease. Even something like scaly legs mites or lice mean that sanitation wasn't up to snuff. Better safe then sorry.

5. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I would never add just one bird! I would try to add at least 2 at a time. See if he has another bird that you can purchase and let them be buddies.. It is really hard being a newbie in a old flock--even a small flock... I quarantined for 30 days-I dusted for mites and wormed them. I watched for any signs of illness.. After 30 days, I moved them into a cage inside the coop at night and during the day they had a fence area that was divided out of the big run.. So, they could see each other but could not be injury.. After a week, they got to free range together after a week of this they were going to roost w/ the older girls..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by