Quarantine

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mek, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay I know that Quails and chickens shouldn't mix.. But what lv of quarantine do you need?

Ie ... I wake up in the morning and I stuff the pin cushions all their feed and check their water. Then I go to my chicken pens and clean up their poo...
    I go to work .. come back from work and straight to the quail pen to check on them change the paper and sawdust... Is my clothes counted as contaminated?

I have outside poo shoes for my chickens and I walk in them all over the patio.. Then I walk in my working shoes around the same patio... Are my shoes contaminated? ... The Quail will be stacked on shelves on the patio once they are adult.

I am contemplating in maybe feeding them a chicken egg/egg shell as calcium source ... is the egg when cooked counted as taboo item that could infect my quail.

I have a bad habit of patting my birds (chickens) at night cos they can not escape from me ... after washing my hands with soap are my hands dirty with chicken germies still?

I have some storage bins at the moment that stores the chicken feed... If someone in my household tries to put the quail feed in the same bin is this a source of possible contamination?

Would you count pets like a cockatiel and budgie in the chicken area {carry and spread disease} or the game bird area {its okay if they are near eachother and wont spread disease} ?

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    you are too worried about contamination.

I have raised chickens with quail in the same area and same coop.they get along fine and NO DISEASES. In fact its communal.The chickens engorge themselves and when they eat they toss food everywhere,then the quail vacuum that food right up. My quail are not diseased and dying,nor are my chickens. seems to be just some rumors.

Heres a pic of one of our bob bird quails(lil man jr.) in the coop at the water bowl next to a chicken..in the same coop and run!

[​IMG]

I have even raised two guinea keets with two cortunix in the same brooder.Now they are outside in a coop under the silkies..in the same coop! with our only white texas a&m quail.

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Countless people just read this post, and shook there head... Bill

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    only the ones that count...

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You can never be too cautious about biosecurity between your chickens and quail. Some people get away with keeping chickens and quail in close proximity, but I personally wouldn't do it. As far as cross contamination, everything you touch with your hands will be transfered somewhere and if you are coming out of the chicken area and headed for your quail area, you are going to leave it on something that you are touching in and around that area. Same with shoes. Your feet are filthy after going to visit your chickens. If you track that in to the quail area, even if they are not in a walk in area, you might set one of their waterers or feeders down on the area that your feet are in. Then when putting in that water fount into the quail area, you have just transfered a possible disease that could kill your birds. If your hands were dirty when you touched this fount, you have contaminated that surface. If you touch your hands to your clothes, than they too have been contaminated.

It is advised to always wash your hands between visiting your chickens and quail, change your shoes, do not mix the feeders and waterers, thoroughly wash all feeders and waterers with a bleach solution weekly, and keep all poultry in their own area. Do not mix cleaning utensils between pens.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:Oh, and you REALLY need to clean up that waterer. It is disgusting.

7. gmendoza

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    well duh! I cleaned it after the pic. I dont stay home.I have a career.I check them before I go and when I come home and before I go to bed. [​IMG]

If this "cross contamination" is true,show proof. A study by a research lab, some biologist papers, something tangable than heresay. I have NOT had any deaths,sicknesses,or even a sniffle with them both together.

8. LivingRootsFarm

LivingRootsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Samsula
    Quote:Countless people just read this post, and shook there head... Bill

[​IMG]

9. gmendoza

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
  10. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:The fact that you choose to keep your birds with chickens, or polar bears matters not... That's your choice...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by