Quarantine?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by superchemicalgirl, Jul 31, 2011.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I just picked up three somewhere between 4 and 8 week old goslings - brown chinese x pilgrim.

The only fowl I currently have is chickens... a lot of chickens.

Do I need to quarantine the geese from the chickens? Right now they're in the chicken brooder in the basement, a 4x4 box. They seem incredibly unhappy. They were really hot when I got them home and I stuck them in the bathtub for about 10 minutes. They drank and cooled off a bit, now they're no longer drooling.

I don't want to put them outside if they can potentially transfer disease to my chickens. The woman who had them did have chickens.

Thoughts?

2. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Well they can't stay inside... that much is clear (or brown). For something that's been too scared to eat for the past 6 hours it sure does continue to produce copious amounts of really stinky poo. The brooder just can't keep up with that.

We built them a really quick enclosure out of spare parts for them to stay outside the next few days. Any idea how long it'll take them before this is "home" and I can let them out?

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    If you have an area of lawn that you can put an low fence (even temporary) around with a bowl of crumbles and water- they will keep themselves busy all day. When mine are small like that I keep them in the garden and herd or carry them into a coop or predator-proof dog crate at night. Then you don't have to mow the grass either. Your best bet is to spend time with them- as much as possible. Talk to them, get down on the gound so you aren't so scary. Before you know it they'll be your biggest fans.

BTW- geese are not susceptible to the same kinds of diseases as chickens are.That's not saying they couldn't be carrying germs on thier bodies. I would think a short quarantine until they have a couple nice baths would be sufficient.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  4. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Thank you for your answer! We built a very quick 4x3x4 enclosure. When you say the geese are "small" I have to laugh. They're larger than my chickens already and weigh more than my cats do! This morning they were all in the makeshift lake... a large clear plastic tote my boyfriend got yesterday. It was cute. I'm still not a huge fan of them - cause I don't know what I'm doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by