Quarantined chick still one of the gang

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by applefalls, Apr 21, 2012.

1. applefalls

applefalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Cockeysville, MD
    One of our three chicks hurt her leg and could not walk very well. The other two chicks kept accidentally knocking her over. The vet recommended separating her for her own safety, but because we only have the three, he told us it was important for the chicks to still be able to hear and see each other. The vet also suggested adding a stuffed animal with wings or floppy ears so that the wounded chick could still have something to snuggle at night. We put the hurt chick in a fish tank with a hardware cloth cover. The sweetest thing was that she did not snuggle with the stuffed duck we put in her cage; she slept in the corner of her fish tank with the two healthy chicks snuggled up against the outside of her corner! In the picture, the hurt chick has already hobbled away from her corner to go eat, but you can still see how the other two chicks are waiting for her at the corner. Heartwarming!![​IMG]

2. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    That is so sweet. When my Jersey Giant girl was a week old, she was accidentally stepped on by her hatch mates and hurt her leg too.

I separated her to a little brooder. She could still see the other chicks, but she still became very depressed and started going down hill!\

My son and I decided that we just Had to get another chick for her or we would lose her quick.

The problem was that we only needed 1 chick and couldnt get them from hatcheries that only sell them 6 or so .

Luckily I found a feed store that had baby Leghorns, so my son and I drove 1 1/2 hrs to get her.

As soon as we put her in with the JG, she perked right up and is now 1 year old and doing great!!

Thank you for sharing..

3. applefalls

applefalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Cockeysville, MD
    That is a sweet story. I believe that you'd drive that far for your chick. We do crazy things for our animals![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by