quarantining new chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NCchickenman1958, Aug 8, 2009.

1. NCchickenman1958

NCchickenman1958 In the Brooder

May 24, 2009
    Mint Hill N.C.
    I just went to look at some new chicks to expand the flock and after seeing the conditions that they were in I bought the 7 ( 4 rir, 3 red sex link) and although they were not in great shape I couldnt in good conscience leave them there, so the question is how long should I keep them seperate from the 10 that I have raised from chicks? I have them in a seperate pen and I can build them a shelter for themselves if it is going to be awhile. They had no water or food in the dogrun that was being used as a run and only a old dogloo for shelter out of the elements. I now just want to make sure that they have the correct amount of time to themselves before I try to introduce them to the main flock.

2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Songster

3. NCchickenman1958

NCchickenman1958 In the Brooder

May 24, 2009
    Mint Hill N.C.
    thanks for the link, I just wanted to make sure since the jerk who had them let them nearly starve and I'm sure they are dealing with comprimised immune systems. I went out and bought some Activa yogurt and will be giving them a mash with it for a while to help get their systems up to par, but I have never seen a chicken that wouldn't eat a treat ( I gave them a fresh ear of corn and a big ripe tomatoe and they looked like they didn't know what to do with it and left it alone) they have been eating the feed almost none stop since I got them. This morning my DW told me that the 10 year old boy who's dad put him in charge of the care of the flock told her that when they ran out of food he just threw some grass in the run and they loved it... sad isn't it that with 35 chickens and 3 ducks in a 8x8 pen that the kids dad wouldnt be smart enough to know that they need food, I bet he didnt let his beer run out. Iwould have bought all of the critters if my DW hadnt cautioned me that we didnt have enough room for them so hopefully the rest will be sold today on craigslist and find good homes. Enough ranting for today got to go to Lowes and buy materials for the new chicken tractor I am building for my chicken concentration camp survivors.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    30 days is the general rule I go by.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. I would quarantine them for at least a month. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: