Quarantining New Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cocopop, Jan 20, 2014.

1. cocopop

cocopop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    I understand that you should quarantine new chickens from your existing flock but how about in this case.
    If I bought 2 chickens from two different places, can they be quarantined in the same shed but different cages?
    Probably could not quarantine them together in the same cage since they are both new from different places but is it be ok?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Yes but you won't be quarantining them from each other just by using separate cages if that is what you are asking. The diseases that are viral are airborne so spending time in the same shed will expose them to each other. The important thing is that they will still be away from your current flock however if one shows signs of any illness you will have to assume the other has then been exposed and you won't want either bird to go into your flock.

3. cocopop

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    Since they have been in the same shed but different cage for 3 days, Is it too late to put the other one in a separate room?
    Can an infected bird that has been treated and healed join the rest of the flock?

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Technically yes, it's to late to separate them now, it really wouldn't serve any purpose. If both birds look healthy and bright eyed you could still do it but understand that if one bird should be a carrier of something then the other could potentially show symptoms in the next week or so.

That applies to recovered birds going into your flock as well. Most of the respiratory diseases chickens get will leave them carriers of that disease if they do recover. It's also common for them to occasionally have a recurrence if they get stressed for any reason or even just a cold snap in the weather. So any previously uninfected birds they come in contact with can potentially become ill as well.

5. cocopop

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    Thank you very much for the info. Hoping they are both healthy and stay healthy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by