Quarantining new pullet & introducing her to the ladies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jjhere, Jul 27, 2010.

1. jjhere

jjhere In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Smidge north of Seattle
    A couple of days ago we got rid of a "hen" that turned out to be a roo and now want to add a young pullet (about the same age) to the batch. We only have 2 now - BR and Ancona - and they are friendly, easy-going young ladies (about 3 months old).

Do I have to quarantine the new one? If so, for how long and is it just to insure that she is not sick?

My plan is to let them all free-range together at first introduction and then to put her into the hen house at night after the others have been in there for a while. Is that the best way to go about it?

Thanks.

2. schellie69

schellie69 Songster

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    You need to quarantine for 30 days at least it might be better to get 2 pullets, it is really hard to introduce a single pullet into a flock. After the 30 days I would place them in the pen that has been separated and then let them free range together for about a week and let them roost in the other part of the pen after that week go ahead and take the divider down and let them free range and roost together this has worked for us. good luck.

3. rhondaa

rhondaa In the Brooder

Oct 17, 2009
    North Tx
    i do understand about new chickens...a lady gave me a chicken she could not take care of i kept her away a couple weeks then put her in a cage in the run with the hens for a week. and then let her out with the girls oh...it was the chicken war. very hard. I have found 2 or 3 month olds are easy to mingle. good luck.[​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

Do I have to quarantine the new one? If so, for how long and is it just to insure that she is not sick?

At least 4-6 weeks, and even after that, you may get a nasty surprise if she is a carrier of one of those type respiratory illnesses. Quarantine is not perfect.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: