quarantining

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chichi56788, Sep 12, 2010.

1. chichi56788

chichi56788 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    I read in a book that once you get a new chicken you have to quarantine it. How exactly does that work? I wanted to get another silkie because they are (in my opinion) the greatest pet in the world. SO if anyone could explain to me how this works that would be great.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  2. chichi56788

chichi56788 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    Someone please help.

3. AlbinoChicken

AlbinoChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Kauai
    This is something I would like to know more about as well. Anyone?

4. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

You quarintine so you don't mix the germs and possibly get your flock sick. I am quarintining my 2 new birds now in our kitchen. All you have to do is keep the new bird(s) seperate from for 3-4 weeks before introducing her/him/it to your flock. This means COMPLETELY separate. I have my birds in a rubbermaid box with chicken wire over the top, but if you have a wire cage, that would work better. Clean your hands inbetween touching the new birds and the flock.
    YOu should quarintine any new birds you get, and also show birds when they come back ffrom a show. Hope this helps you!!!

5. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    It's not as easy as it sounds...A few things to think about--
    1. I would never bring just one new bird into my flock.. I feel like since they are flock animals 30+days alone is too long. And more birds being added to the org. flock will help keep the pecking to a minimum maybe you could get several new girls from the same breeder!

2. Do most people have several acres to keep the birds apart? I don't think so.. I have 13 acres and had a stray hen several 100 ft from my coop in a pen all alone and guess where my birds went the minute I turned them out?--that's right---to scratch about around the new girl's coop/run! Never been there before! So, make sure your org. flock can be kept away from the newbies in a secure area for that length of time..

3. Then make sure your entire family knows bio-security...It won't work if everyone is not 'on board'...

good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by