Quarentine question...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DelcoChix, Aug 4, 2010.

1. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Wanted to see what concensus is for quarentine time before introducing new pullets to the rest of the flock? Been searching through posts (my eyes are starting to cross), and the only one I've found so far is a month. Does that seem the norm? Any suggestions would be appreciated. We're picking up a couple of new pullets to add to our little flock of 14 hens/pullets later this week. Thanks.

2. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    On the average 30 days is a good quarentine length of time. That should give enough time for any illness to show up if it is going to happen.

Did the pullets come from the same source as your first pullets?

3. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    I have never once managed to keep a chicken in quarantine for a month!!! I think the longest I made it was 10 days...and never lost a chicken to disease yet. I think if you are watchful and know signs of illness, and know where your chicken came from , you are fine with a shorter period. But I'm sure others would say I've just been lucky so far.
    I usually would only add one at a time and they can't stand being alone, so maybe it'll be easier if there are more together.
    Good luck!

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    The shortest time is 21 days, but it's recommended to keep them quarantined for 30 days.

5. DelcoChix

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Hi--Thanks for your input. And, no these pullets are coming from a breeder, the rest of my little flock is either from Meyer Hatchery last May (2009), a few from this May, and three from a breeder as day old chicks in April...guess I've got a variety pack!

6. DelcoChix

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Thanks for your help! I too will be tempted to have an early release..but will try to be 'mature' and 'wise' and hold out for the 30 days (a challenge for me!)...will play it by ear, and I will have two pullets for the quarantine so it shouldn't be quite so lonely for them.

7. DelcoChix

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Thanks so much for your input--appreciate your taking the time. I will shoot for 21-30 days, depending on how they are looking, acting, etc. I just hate to have them shut up in a small space, feel guilty, but will really be best for the rest of our girls health. I have a large dog crate that should work fine, can keep them in the horse barn so they'll be around some activity, and the crate should work well when I move them in with the rest anyways--they can go into the run and be a part of the flock w/o getting picked on. Can't wait to get them though, BLRW pullets, same age as the three BCM pullets that are just getting introduced now, roosting with the rest every night...
    We've had two 'batches' of chicks this spring six weeks apart age wise, so we've been dealing with three different groups to take care of...am soooo looking forward to having them all integrated into one or two flocks (yep--lazy me!). What's another month at this rate? It will happen, eventually..must be patient...must be patient...must be patient....sigh.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by