Quarentined When can I let him out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FuzzyButtsFarm, Jan 17, 2011.

1. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I got a 9 mo old BO rooster. His previous owner had been treating him with vasoline for leg mites but it wasn't really getting them all. I treated him last night with topical ivermectin after washing in dawn soapy water and scrubbing with a soft brush. Feet look alot cleaner today. When can I let him out to meet his new girls. It's so funny to see them hanging around the stall only being able to see him through the cracks between the boards and literaly scraching at the boards as if trying to dig him out. [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Glad you are continuing the treatment for scaly leg mites. BUT.... there are quite a few things that can be transferred to your current flock. Technically, they shouldn't even be sharing the same air for 30 days.

Very informative thread here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12751

3. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Sharing the same air??? Thats all but imposible. He is in a 12x12 stall on the oppisite side of the horse barn that is 48x36. Eight stalls, four on each side with a 12' foot asle. Thats about as far appart as I could get and still keep him safe.

[​IMG]
    My chicken coop

ps I got him from another BYC member who had had him in quarentine for 2 wks.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Sorry, I must have been mistaken when I read that. I though it meant they were literally outside his stall? In which case it's too late for any quarantine regarding respiratory illness anyway.

I used to confine new birds at least an acre away, in a cage in a closed building, for a minimum of 30 days. I cared for the flock first, then the new bird. With a proper scrubbing in between. Many chicken illnesses are airborne, hence the thread link. It seems so many folks don't bother with quarantine and their next post is "my chickens have a cold."

I operate a closed flock now, so I only bring in new birds by hatching them myself. In your case, with the leg mites, I'd recommend 2 more treatments at the very least. Mites are a real pain to get rid of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by