Quartering out your chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Timskins, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Timskins

Timskins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Surprise, Az
    For those that like to separate your cuts like the breast, thigh, or anything else. Do you wait until after the 2-3 day cooling period sets in and rigor comes and goes or do you do it right away after processing?

2. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    You can do either. If you rest first, then you can separate, package, and freeze right away. If you separate first, then package, let the packages rest before you freeze.

Basically, as long as the meat rests before being frozen, it can be done either way. I like to get mine ready for the freezer first, then while it is resting I have the carcasses for making stock right away. It also keeps me from having to find room for whole carcasses in the fridge until they are separated, because the separated parts take up less space in the fridge. If you do it that way, then when you finish canning your stock, you're done......except for taking the packages out of the fridge and putting them in the freezer.[​IMG]

3. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    I quarter and then rest - all about space in fridge.
    I've found I use the meat differently if it's quartered - especially in warmer weather and grilling!

4. Timskins

Timskins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Surprise, Az
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by