Quartining Birds Together From the Same Show

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BantyChickenLuv, Oct 7, 2012.

1. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello,
    I'm going to a show next weekend. I'm bringing 2 birds, plus whatever I decided to buy there. I know for sure I'm getting chicks, but maybe some adult birds as well. Well, I was wondering if it would be safe to quarntine all of the adult birds together since I will be bringing them home from the same show?
    Thanks.

2. BantyChickenLuv

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Anyone?

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    I have no experience bringing back birds from a show. If I were to do it I would quarantine them together. They all had the same chance of exposure at the show.

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    They would all have been exposed to anything at the show but the new ones could possibly have something that they brought from wherever they were before the show. Then if they didn't all pick something up from the show....they could infect the ones you took with you. Unless the ones you took with you to the show are not of particular value I would keep them separate.

5. BantyChickenLuv

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon

What if I know that they don't let any unhealthy birds in the show? Would I be safe then quarantining them together?

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I guess but then they can only go on apparently healthy. Some birds are carriers and do not always show the symptoms until stressed. It's always a risk bringing in new birds. You have to do what you are comfortable with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by