Queen Annes Lace(wild carrots)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Six2start, May 20, 2011.

1. Six2start

Six2start Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    are they any good for chickens?
    reason i ask is i have a whole bunch growing in my yard, i think so anyway
    and eventually i'm gonna have pull em all out before i start breeding domestic carrots
    and rather than throw em in a burn pile for compostable ash i would rather feed em to my chickens when i get em
    but only if it isn't bad for em:)

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would skip it personally.

1.They can get impacted crop by eating long fibrous material unless it is chopped very short for them.

2. This quote is from the following website:

"People can eat the large taproot, which of course, is a carrot. The leaves of the plant, though, are toxic, and may irritate the skin.
    Relationship to Humans:

As mentioned above, the taproots of Queen Anne's Lace are carrots, and are edible. Be cautious when handling this plant, though. Skin irritation is common. Also, there is a similar-looking plant, called Water Hemlock, which is deadly to eat. People have died eating what they thought was Queen Anne's Lace. Do not attempt to eat Queen Anne's Lace unless you have a positive identification from an expert!"

http://wildedibleandmedicinalplants.blogspot.com/2010/06/queen-annes-lace-daucus-carota.html

More helpful info:
    http://www.foragingtexas.com/2008/08/queen-annes-lace.html

Chickens can often eat things that we wouldn't eat. But in this case, I'd skip it personally.

They LOVE grass clippings, chopped 2-3 inches in length, clover, and dandelion leaves. I would steer you in this direction.

(I have done quite a bit of reading on edible wild plants but am no expert by any means.)

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. Six2start

Six2start Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    thanks for the info and the links
    not actually sure what these are jsut yet but i'll make sure to avoid feeding em to my chickens

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My geese won't eat it.

5. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    None of my animals will eat it, horses, goats, chickens........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by