Queen of the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hectors0hens, Mar 15, 2017.

1. hectors0hens

hectors0hens Just Hatched

Mar 7, 2017
    I have 9 chicks ( 2 barred rocks, 2 Easter eggers, 2 blue Cochins, 1 white leg horn, 1 Rhoade island red, and 1 buff orpingtons)they are 4-6 weeks old and playing the fly at each other game. Which of these breeds will usually end up being the queen of th coop?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Whoever wants to be, whoever is the meanest, oldest, bravest, and it can change in a day. Cochins and Orpingtons are more mellow though, so maybe not them :)

3. hectors0hens

Mar 7, 2017
    Surprisingly the Cochins seem to be holding their own considering they are a week or so younger than the rest.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    While breed plays a role in temperament, individual personalities have a strong bearing on pecking order. And individuals can change over time, so things are never static in Chicken World.

You won't see the pecking order lineup for several more weeks, but by the time hormones make things more interesting, you should have your answer.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    While breeds do have tendencies, each chicken is an individual. You have to have enough for averages to mean much and you don’t. The one that becomes queen is the one that wants it the most. That’s not based on size, that’s based on spirit. In some flocks with both bantams and full sized chickens a bantam rules the roost.

Chickens mature at different rates. As Azygous said you can easily see changes at any time, but when they are going through puberty and becoming adults is when you may see the most changes. A lot of times these changes are so peaceful you don’t even notice it. Occasionally you may see some fighting but even then it’s usually not that bad. You read about some horror stories on here and they can possibly happen, but usually it really isn’t that bad.

Some hens rule the roost with an iron fist, while other head hens are much more laid back. You may or may not have troubles even knowing which is in charge. They are living animals and each has its own personality.

6. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada

X2

7. hectors0hens

Mar 7, 2017
    Thanx for the input. Yesterday we upgraded them to a larger indoor cage because Mother Nature isn't cooperating. They spend a few hours being loud and flying at each other. Today everything is business as usual. I have never mixed breeds before so this is all new to me. My last small flock was all RIR and they were never this rambunctious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by