Query on inbreeding

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by janum, Sep 8, 2016.

1. janum

janum New Egg

Sep 8, 2016
    Hi:) I have beautiful Australorp chickens and was wondering if someone would please be able to give me some tips/ hints regarding inbreeding? I started off with 1 rooster and 3 hens and incubated lovely healthy chicks. I've kept all the hens and one rooster (seperate) now have a completely new rooster who is breeding all my hens. However the new chicks that I get am I able to put them with the other rooster which is the brother of all there mothers?? (I hope this doesn't sound too confusing[​IMG]) thanks in advance !!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    2 people like this.
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

redsoxs has given you a link that may help.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already from redsoxs so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens janum!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    From what I understand that type of inbreeding is not damaging to your flock, IF you use good healthy stock, with no major health issue flaws like cross beak, defects etc.. Sound temperaments should be a given as well as good representatives of the breed standard. You would have to do many generations of back & forth inbreeding with the limited stock you have now, to be of concern. I do think you should have an alternate roo of good quality and temperament to use as well.

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

You get what your start with... inbreeding is fine and used by all the best breeders but it will quickly concentrate any flaws in your stock (as well as good points). Parent X offspring inbreeding is known as linebreeding and is less intensive than sibling X sibling inbreeding. I know of folks who have kept closed lines for decades without an issue, even starting with as few as two or three birds. You just have to select carefully and cull out any stock which is weak or lacks vigor and you should have no issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by