1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

QUES ABOUT CHICKEN DEWORMER

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by augiedranch, Apr 12, 2008.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i ran a fecal at work today on my adult chickens. i am assuming my six week old may have some worms also.

i found an egg that looked like a dog hookworm, and i def found some sort of round worm.

i dont know what they are called in chickens.. our clinic only works on dogs and cats.

does anyone know of a website that sells good quality chicken wormer? and can i deworm my six week olds?

thanks for anyones help with any parasite info

[​IMG]

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I know that cattle Ivermec can be mixed with water and delivered via chicken drinking water, have you checked in Predators and Pests? I bet you'll find lots there...[​IMG]

3. hobobrando

hobobrando Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    Contact a TSC they sell alot of different animal meds and might be able to help you. MM might have chicken dewormers so I would also check with them.

4. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    tractor supply is my fav store. I go there at least twice a week. however, they dont have chicken dewormer.

nobody around where i live has anything for chickens... except feed.

the nearest chicken vet is 6 hours away from me...

i was going to order wazine, but its only for rounds

i found rounds in my chickens poop, but i also found a parasite egg that looks alot like hooks.. but i dont know what they are called in chickens.

i am having trouble finding deworms for chickens that deworms more than just rounds

thanks for yalls help

5. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

When you worm chickens, can you still eat the eggs or do you have to wait for a period of time?

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
  7. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    chillin with my peeps,

i think u have to wait a while

8. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    I just wormed mine. It is 2cc of injectable Ivermectin in a gallon of water, for three days or .25 cc for bantam and .50 cc for standard in the mouth directly. Repeat either way in 2 weeks. No egg consumption for a week after worming. This works for me.

9. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Since I think one of my girls has gapeworm, I spent a lot of time doing research yesterday on worming chickens. Try this site - shilalal.homestead.com. Go to "Sitemap", scroll down to "Your Bird's Health" and click on "Worming Your Birds". Ivermectin is a very potent wormer and is also effective against external parasites. Read all the warnings and decide what is best for your chickies. I found Ivomec Eprinex at TS. If you decide to use this wormer, don't forget to buy a TB syringe for application - you won't need a needle.

10. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    thanks guys! this is really helpful.

i just bought ivomec online. and some safeguard fenbendazole.

i guess ill work tomorrow and then not eat the eggs for a week... what do i do with the eggs... i feel bad not using them.. can they go under a hen? or is that a dumb question:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by