Ques about my pet chicken

happymom99

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2011
California
Have you ordered bantams from my pet chicken? I am tempted because I really want a silkie hen and they say they can sex them. I thought silkies couldn't be sexes so young.

Has anyone had any luck ordering female silkie chicks? Do you think they are really able to sex them or are they just taking a 50/50 gamble that you get a girl?

Thanks,
CJ

This place is located in CT where I live.. Never ordered chicks from them but I might in the future... But, I here they get chicks from Meyer hatchery? If that is true I'll stay away as far as possible cause I had horrible experience with Meyer.

Last edited:
My Pet Chicken is a drop shipper. The breeds that Meyer hatchery has will come from Meyer, and they have contracts with "breeders" as well for some other breeds. It is very unlikely any of your birds will come from CT. MPC does, however, have their own customer support and you would not be dealing with Meyer Hatchery directly, just their birds.

Since a drop shipper like this isn't hatching and sending you their own chicks, but just acting as a broker, middle man to have your order filled by various hatcheries around the country, it seems to make more sense to me to just leave the middle man out and order directly from actually hatcheries.

2x

Since a drop shipper like this isn't hatching and sending you their own chicks, but just acting as a broker, middle man to have your order filled by various hatcheries around the country, it seems to make more sense to me to just leave the middle man out and order directly from actually hatcheries.

I ended up ordering my chicks from My Pet Chicken. Their prices were the same as other hatcheries, and they were willing to ship smaller quantities. This was important because I only wanted six chicks. I'm planning on keeping only two of the six, and will sell the rest once they are feathered enough to go outside. I did this last year, and was able to charge enough for my excess pullets to pay for the initial purchase of chicks and the feed to raise em. Effectively free chicks!
Also, I was looking for Marans and Wellsumers(and even some EEs, which I can get from the local feed store). I found a lot of reputable breeders of both breeds, but there was a long waiting list with no gaurantee, and they would only ship in large quantities(one breeder charged almost a hundred bucks for a dozen straight run chicks).
I know I may get a lesser quality bird, but that's ok by me as I am not going to breed them. I just some pretty birds that lay nice dark eggs.
So, prices were comparable, and they were willing to ship smaller quantities of chicks. I just couldn't count on finding a local breeder of the breeds I wanted, and those would most likely be show quality, which I am not interested.
Sometimes there are advantages to using a hatchery, or even a broker.
I will update this when I get my chicks, and again when I see what colors they produce.

I ordered seven chicks from my pet chicken last summer, all pullets. They hatched Sept. 19, all were sexed correctly and just started laying. I ordered one polish, two silkies, two ee's, a barred rock and a partridge rock. I am very happy with my girls and the customer service at MPC. They sent two different colored ee's and my black silkie is bearded and vaulted. My polish is also bearded and very pretty. They all are very friendly and have had no health issues. I also have some breeder birds but I have to say that my hatchery birds are just as pretty and definitely have better personalities.
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom