Quess what I got.......Great Pyr lovers lookie here

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by texaschickmama, Mar 12, 2009.

1. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    He is 8wks old and weighs about 25 lbs. He is extremely smart and has already met the chickens he will be guarding. Isn't he gorgeous. His name is Diesel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cparian

cparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Awwww! What a cute baby!

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    cute, cute cute! and serious-looking.
    How do you know how to train them? How long will it take? Do you put them with the chicks or only outside the pen? I'm thinking about trying with a LGD dog, too.

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Congratulations........he is beautiful [​IMG]

5. texaschickmama

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Quote:Actually, we have been researching this sometime. I found a great site, through byc. Just search great pyrenees on here and read through a couple threads.

He slept in his crate in the chicken coop last night. It killed me. I wanted to go get him and snuggle him, but that is a NO NO. I went out first thing this morning and let him out and fed him and he was happy as could be.

He was loose with the big chickens yesterday and did beautifully. It just amazed me to watch his instincts take hold.

I'm very serious about his training. If I wasn't, I would be stuck feeding a horse of a dog and getting nothing in return because he would be in my lap. [​IMG]

6. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    He is beautiful!!!

7. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    That is exactly why my Dh will not let me have a Pyr! I would have in the middle of the bed and not out with the chickens. mind you thats his words! and he's probably right. [​IMG]

8. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    what a cutie!!! i remember when my great pyr was that small! hes now 13 months old and weighs 100 pounds!!!!!
    great dog you got there!

9. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

oh isn't he cute.....I so have my hands full right now with GP puppies but they're still cute....

10. texaschickmama

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Quote:He is one snuggly guy. It's so hard to have him out there in his crate in the coop. He was crying last night after I put him up. I know he had eaten and drank and gone to the bathroom, so he was just sad. It was all I could do not to go get him and let him sleep on my lap, he really doesn't fit in my lap, but you know what I mean.

I'm in love with the breed now, and only after one day with him. He is an amazing dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by