Quess what I got.......Great Pyr lovers lookie here

texaschickmama

Songster
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Poolville, TX
He is 8wks old and weighs about 25 lbs. He is extremely smart and has already met the chickens he will be guarding. Isn't he gorgeous. His name is Diesel.
4047_100_3591.jpg

4047_100_3570.jpg

4047_100_3590.jpg

cute, cute cute! and serious-looking.
How do you know how to train them? How long will it take? Do you put them with the chicks or only outside the pen? I'm thinking about trying with a LGD dog, too.

Quote:
Actually, we have been researching this sometime. I found a great site, through byc. Just search great pyrenees on here and read through a couple threads.

He slept in his crate in the chicken coop last night. It killed me. I wanted to go get him and snuggle him, but that is a NO NO. I went out first thing this morning and let him out and fed him and he was happy as could be.

He was loose with the big chickens yesterday and did beautifully. It just amazed me to watch his instincts take hold.

I'm very serious about his training. If I wasn't, I would be stuck feeding a horse of a dog and getting nothing in return because he would be in my lap.
wink.png

That is exactly why my Dh will not let me have a Pyr! I would have in the middle of the bed and not out with the chickens. mind you thats his words! and he's probably right.
big_smile.png

Quote:
He is one snuggly guy. It's so hard to have him out there in his crate in the coop. He was crying last night after I put him up. I know he had eaten and drank and gone to the bathroom, so he was just sad. It was all I could do not to go get him and let him sleep on my lap, he really doesn't fit in my lap, but you know what I mean.

I'm in love with the breed now, and only after one day with him. He is an amazing dog.

Back
Top Bottom