Question??? 10 week old chicks

warmwater

Songster
10 Years
Jun 7, 2009
Hello, we have five 10 week old chicks that I let out to free range with the older girls in the afternoon when I get home from work. At 7:30 p.m. the older girls go in to roost for the night. At that time I put the little chicks back in the brooder for the night.

My husband thinks the 10 weekers are old enough to be let loose with the older girls, all day and at night...I on the other hand feel they are not big enough yet....I feel they are safe in the brooder during the day just in case the older girls feel like pecking them. They all seem to get along when they are out in the yard.

Question: When is the right age to put chicks in with the older girls day & night and feel safe doing it? Thanks

Brooder....2x5x2
Coop...8x8
Run...8x18
Older girls...7
Chicks....5 (10 wks)

I did not mix my chicks with the big girls until the chicks were the same size as the big girls. I want to say around 6 months. My older chkns still picked on the younger ones but that's normal. All of my chickens free range on 1 acre and there are still fight's. We have 12 new babies the big girls can see them but not get to them and they will not be mixed till they are around the same size. It worked well last time so I will do the same this time.
Good Luck
smile.png

Thanks TMNTCkins, I'll let them all out in the yard (1/2 acre fenced) together when I'm home and can watch them.

I also felt they were to young/small to mix all together. Now my DH will know - it is not time yet-

I don't know if you've ever watched hens when they go to roost but they can be quite mean to each other, pecking on the head, pushing and shoving, squawking and all kinds of carrying on.
barnie.gif

I would also wait till the chicks are the same size so they can defend themselves, as they will get beat on by the older hens on the roost.

Back
Top Bottom