1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question!!!! 3 week old peaking the feet and beaks of my new day olds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by millersdawn616, Apr 21, 2011.

1. millersdawn616

millersdawn616 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    I JUST GOT 13 NEW BABY BABY PULLETS AND WELL i have a 3 week old that is in with them and she is peaking the feet and beaks of the lil babys. is she asserting dominince or trying to really harm them? what should i do? they have PLENTY of space so thats not a problem, plenty of food and water, and room to run away from the 3 week old. but i have 2 chocolate ameruacanas that are tiny and might not move quick enough or if the older one decides to target one baby bird it might be to much. with 13 day olds to one 3 week old the odds are agenst the 3 week old but i DO NOT want to take eny chances. please what do i do????? and please only positive feed back...

THANKS

2. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Take it out....the 3 week old....even for just a week or so and give the babies time to get their strength up

You will hear from others that might know what to do....but that is what I would do.

Or divide them up....biggest ones with the older chick....smaller ones together.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  3. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Hoping she'll change her ways for you, but it may be that she is just enough older than they are that she'll keep bugging them. I've only ever had a one week age difference and didn't have any troubles with that. I do know that a red brooder light can be more helpful than a white brooder light. Hoping someone else can chime in for ya. Good luck.

4. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Separating the 3 week old from the day old chicks is going to give you the best results and waiting until they are closer to the same size before putting them together.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Remove the 3 week old until the chicks are more mobile and able to take care of themselves.

6. millersdawn616

Mar 14, 2011
    THANK YOU ALL!!! but should i still alow the lil ones and the 3 week old see each other like through a wire screan????

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    can you put a see thru barrier between them? Like a screen or such? thats what i did for about 3 or 4 days then removed and watched. After they could see each other but not get to each other for a few day then they were fine. I've had them from 4 weeks to day old this way and they did fine.

8. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Quote:If you are able to do this, it will help when you go to put them together.

9. millersdawn616

Mar 14, 2011
    Quote:If you are able to do this, it will help when you go to put them together.

oh awesome thank youguys and gals soooooooooo much you are all life savers!!!! ill get right to it thank you for such a speedy awenser!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by