Question! 7 month old hen is spraying clear waterlike stuff instead of poo.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mom22alcorns, Mar 9, 2012.

1. mom22alcorns

mom22alcorns Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Hey BYC'rs! I have a 7 month old Barred Rock hen that is spraying a clear waterlike substance instead of poo. I mean it literally shoots/sprays from her vent like a quick blasting wateerfall. She is still laying and eating fine. Not lethargic. She has a streak of junk below her vent that is looking kind of crusty. She has been doing this for a couple of weeks off and on. Not drinking heavily or anything either. Any ideas? Is it just one of the many different chicken poos (I have checked out the poo page) or what? Oh and I have not seen any signs of worms or mites. Any ideas would be very appreciated! [​IMG]

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Is there ANY poo at all in the water?

3. IsbelAcresTN

IsbelAcresTN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    Have you checked her crop? It could be a blockage that is preventing the solids from traveling further down the digestive tract.

4. mom22alcorns

May 29, 2011
    Kansas City, Kansas
    How do I check her crop? [​IMG] I know where it is....in front in the breast area. But what do I do? Push and squeeze? And what do I look for? Thanks!

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    You'll see a full crop on the right side of her in the front - makes them look lopsided! It should be full when she goes to bed. Then it should digest and for the most part be empty in the morning. You can feel it as well.

6. mom22alcorns

May 29, 2011
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Okay. In the morning when I go out to fill the water and food I will take a closer look. I know now what you are talking about because there have been times that a few of them definitely looked lopsided....lol Thank you so much and I will let you know what I find in the morning. [​IMG]

7. mom22alcorns

May 29, 2011
    Kansas City, Kansas
    No....when she does this it is only clear. Nothing else. That's why I have been wondering. Thanks for your help!

8. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I have a baby hen that seems to do something like that when I pick her up... and only when I pick her up... other than that she is a normal pooper... weird animals

9. IsbelAcresTN

IsbelAcresTN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
  10. mom22alcorns

May 29, 2011
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Her crop is still hard this morning, so I am going to buy some mineral oil like it says in the link that was posted and try that. They got a lot of greens, grapes, and even a pork chop a few days ago and they are maybe not used to that and it caused the impaction. Wish me luck and I will keep you posted. [​IMG] Thank you so much everyone for the advice and help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by