Question about 1st eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by seanb, Sep 7, 2011.

1. seanb

seanb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Central PA
    We have 9 hens that are 15 weeks old so we're expecting to see eggs in the next few weeks. I was told by a friend that we shouldn't eat the first eggs that are laid but no reason was offered. Anyone else hear this?

2. edible_chicken

edible_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Ohio
    from what i have gathered about this, i think its true if the shell is thin/soft. But if the egg shell feels thick/hard and doesn't break easily then it should be good to go! i ate our first two eggs on the same day!

if the shells continue to be soft, then you may want to add oyster shells or other sources of calcium into their diet. (i.e. yogurt)

3. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    That's not true at all! Unless the egg looked like something was wrong with it....but I never had any trouble with my girls when they first started laying. We've eaten every single egg and we're all still here to tell about it! [​IMG]

4. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

You are not supposed to eat your first egg and keep it for sentimental reasons and/or put it under your pillow for the egg fairy.

5. alcap

alcap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    We ate our very first egg! It was hard shelled and delicious

6. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Eat your egg or blow out the shell and keep it. As long as they are no longer on medicated feed, there is no problem with eating a perfectly formed egg.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    We ate the first eggs, they were perfect! BTW, my first egg didn't come until 23 weeks of age.

8. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Of couse we ate the first eggs! Those are the most eggciting and celebrated eggs to enjoy.[​IMG]

9. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Quote:Yeah, we don't eat them just out of tradition, we blow the 1st few eggs (carefully poke a hole in the top and bottom and gently blow the insides out) and keep the shell, it was fun to do as a kid and I still have fun doing it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by