Question about 2 breeders in WA state

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by PitterPatterPalace, Aug 20, 2010.

1. PitterPatterPalace

PitterPatterPalace Chillin' With My Peeps

So... Looking into breeders close to us that we may be interested in the breeds. The two NPIP certified are:

1. Sheryl Butler in Bothell (Cochin Bantam & LF)
    2. Cynthia Smith in Tacoma (Araucana Bantam & LF)

I was able to find very positive reviews for Sheryl on BYC & elsewhere. Talked to her yesterday and she seemed very knowledgable and answered all my questions & had a few of her own. She thought the bantams may not be tolerated well by our 5 LF pullets.

Does anyone have experience mixing bantams with LF? Do you have a separate coop for the bantams?

Also, does anyone have any insight on Cynthia? I haven't called her yet to see if she has any Araucana pullets available.

Please PM me if you would like to share an experience or though on either these two that you may not feel comfortable on the board.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Sorry, don't have advice or knowledge, but I must ask - Does Cynthia have anything on her poultry online? I have only known of one other Araucana breeder in WA and would love to get to know any others, perhaps even gets some Duckwings from them to replace my clean-faced boys.

3. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Might want to put something on the Washington thread. I had a question about a Michigan breeder and the MI thread was a bigger help than my one on here.

Thanks to that, I got some very nice quality cochins [​IMG]

4. PitterPatterPalace

Quote:Illia,
    I just sent her an e-mail (with my interests) and asked her your questions.
    I have yet to find any online poultry information for her but she may not have her name connected with the site (odd though).
    I'll let you know what I find.

5. PitterPatterPalace

Illia,
    I did get a response from Cynthia. They lost 13 show birds, including Best in Show Flash in June. They (she & her son) are just hatching out chicks now so she referred me to Steve.
    I could PM you more details if you'd like.
    --Shannon

6. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I think I was at Sheryls when she talked to you. She has excellent stock. I highly recommend trying some of her white showgirls. She has nice silkies, excellent cochins and frizzles, and nice d'uccles.
    Here is a young pullet from her.
    [​IMG]

I just loaned her a white cockerel, and she is now using a white Mihalik cock as well.

7. PitterPatterPalace

Quote:Thanks for letting me know. She seemed very nice.
    She thinks we should build another coop for the bantams so hubby & I are currently searching for a new one (or a shed to convert to a coop).
    Unfortunately my husband doesn't share the same affinity as I to silkies, polish, etc so showgirls are out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by