Question about 3 day old silkie with a white tip on beak

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jobouss, Feb 26, 2013.

1. jobouss

jobouss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Tupelo, MS
    My little Silkie has a black beak with a little white spot on the end. The other chicks are forever pecking that white spot thinking it's food. The Silkie has started pecking them back a little, but it looks like it is disturbing to her. I am just about ready to take a sharpie and put a black dot on the white spot. Does anyone think that is a bad idea?
    [​IMG]

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I don't think that would be healthy at all, Sharpies are NOT non-toxic. It just looks like the egg horn to me, which will fall off.

3. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    I agree, I don't think it would be safe. Think of how strong they smell, and then imagine having that right by your face.

Do you have a red brooder light? If not I've heard that can help with pecking.

4. jobouss

jobouss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Tupelo, MS
    I don't but I can get one. Thanks for your replies. I would not even do it unless I got your opinions first.
    Jo Ann

5. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    We started with red lights but briefly used a white one when one burned out, and I felt like the chicks were more aggressive and had a hard time settling down with the white light. Hopefully a red one will solve the problem for you. I can't tell from the picture if the white dot is just an egg horn or not, but if it is it should fall off soon. It's great you're keeping such a close eye on them :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by