Question about 4-week old Rangers and butt feathers...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mommainpa, May 12, 2010.

1. mommainpa

mommainpa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    Butler, PA
    Holding firm at 48 Ranger chicks, four weeks old.

I had a few pasty bums within the first week. Nothing major, no one died of it.

Here's my question---as of this week, I've noticed at least ten of the Rangers have issues with poop sticking to the feathers coming out beneath their vent. I've checked each one, and each time the vent is clear. It's that the poop is stuck in a hard lump about the size of a marble to the emerging feathers. I've been able to work most of it off. Some I had to cut off with a small pair of scissors.

What's going on? Is this normal for broilers?

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions.

2. mommainpa

Apr 4, 2008
    Butler, PA
    Bumping up. Anyone?

3. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    I don't know what is going on, but I can tell you that I have not experienced this with Rangers.

4. uhuh555

uhuh555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Delton
    Are you feeding medicated feed? Prolong feeding of medicated feed causes their feces to become sticky due to the lack of natural beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract. If you are, switch to a non-medicated feed and give them some sour milk, buttermilk, yogurt or acidophilus mixed with equal volume of dry feed for 3-4 days. This should get them regular again.

If not feeding medicated feed, they have a mild case of e-coli or similar infection. The above will also take care of this. It would not harm them to feed this once or twice a week to keep their digestive systems healthy. A healthy digestive tract will give them better nutritional absorption and feed consumption to weight gain ratio.

Good luck

5. mommainpa

Apr 4, 2008
    Butler, PA
    Thanks so much for the input!

They were on medicated feed until this past Sunday. I'll try the yogurt mix and see if that does this trick.

Thanks!

6. mike67909

mike67909 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Pinckney, Michigan
    are they getting enough water? if the water runs out at anytime that may lead to sticky crap also.

7. mommainpa

Apr 4, 2008
    Butler, PA
    Good to know about the water. That's one thing I stay very on top of, so no worries there.

I took the feed mixed with yogurt, and they had a field day. Crossing my fingers!

8. mommainpa

Apr 4, 2008
    Butler, PA
    Chicks will be five weeks old tomorrow, and I still have some with the runny poop. I've been giving the yogurt daily, which they seem to love.

Is there anything else I could try? Do they need a medication of some kind?

I'm thinking of going up later today and separating out the ones that still have poop issues, so that I can keep track of them better (and catch them more quickly, in a smaller space).

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!

9. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I wouldn't worry about it too much . My smallest [ from delivery ] seemed to have more loose stool sticking to their down than the others , but only one actually capped off following a power outage during the first week dropped brooder temps too low . I believe there are normal differences between individual's metabolisms that account for different types of stools ; and personally I suspicion the three slow growing straight Cornish [ its a mixed breed brooder ] just didn't need and couldn't handle the 24% protein content of the grower mix . They were not the only ones , but were the worst . While I did have to intervene with the one that capped off , it took a giant poop and showed near instant relieve afterwards . I only cleaned two , one twice , then started ignoring the impulse to help them . They grew just fine . I finally gave in and clipped a ball off one [​IMG] ; but it wasn't necessary ......... I just hated the way it looked [​IMG] . I used to raise bucket calves and scours was deadly if not treated , but I don't think pastey butt is necessarily a problem as most seem to continue to grow and don't show signs of duress unless they cap off .

ETA : I should explain that this is my first batch of chickens after many years . My nature has changed with age and I'm not able too look at them as just an investment ; I've become a bit of a softie . If I had 200 or more of them it would probably be a lot easier to ignore the impulse to nursemaid an individual or two .

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  10. mommainpa

Apr 4, 2008
    Butler, PA
    Steve, thanks for your opinion. I appreciate advice, since this is only my second time with broilers.

I have to say, the poop is just on their feathers---I haven't yet had a vent stuck closed. So maybe it's not as big a deal as I thought.

Thanks again!

Last edited: May 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by