Question about 6 1/2 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kuntrychick, Nov 24, 2009.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I have four 6 1/2 week old chicks. They're in a trailer converted to temporary coop/run under the carport right now. I still keep a regular light bulb on for them. Right now it's in the 50's and 60's during the day and low 50's or 40's at night with the occasional morning temps of 36, 38, etc.

I'm very cold-natured...I mean, if it's below 70, I'm cold. When it's in the 50's...I'll wear thermals and a hoodie along with a coat. So, I assume chickens are freezing if I'm freezing. My husband thinks I'm nuts...lol

I can understand on the really cold nights (at least for me [​IMG] ) down into the low 40's or in the 30's or especially below that they probably need a light for a little warmth, but like today...the high I think was like mid 50's....I froze every time I went outside. I left the light on for them.

For now, they're not in the yard. They're under the carport...so rain and such isn't an issue. They're not out there in the wide open on the ground. They're in a trailer that has tires that's in the concrete floor carport. I'm not sure what size the trailer is...maybe 4 X 6? Hubby's gonna make them a coop/run in the yard sometime soon (I hope).

Anyway, during the day at least with temps in the high 40's or 50's...is it ok to turn the light off? Hubby thinks I worry too much about the chickens....lol

2. REINABUGY

REINABUGY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    Upstate New York
    They should have a temp of 65-60 degrees although they should be fully feather by now. So i would say try it with out the heat light and see how they do.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, if it makes you feel any better, my five girls are 10 1/2 weeks, and when the temp is supposed to drop down into the 30s, even the high 30s, I turn on their red (150W) heat bulb. I've been gradually weaning them off of it, so I haven't had it on during the day in a few weeks. At night now, as long as it's anywhere in the 40s, I don't turn it on (although they have a night light). I will keep my coop above 32 degrees this winter, partly because I don't want the water freezing, and partly because this will be my girls' first winter.

I'm sure you guys must have a milder winter than us, but you will need to wean them away from total heat dependance eventually. Some say they'll be more likely to get sick if they're use to a warm coop, and then go out to really cold air. Personally, I don't consider 35 (or so) degrees warm by any measure, and it's a risk I'm willing to take at this time, while they are young. My dogs and cats go from warm house temps to outside temps all the time, so I think my chickens can handle a bit of heat/cold transition as well.

Your chicks are young, give them time to adjust to the cooler temps. Just be gradual about it... Good luck and enjoy them...they sure grow up quickly!!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I used a heat lamp and if they wanted to get near it they could find their own comfort zone. I also have a night light. I put the heat lamp on a timer so it would come on at night and off in the morning after they were feathered out pretty good I did away with the heat lamp but left their night light on. As long as they don't have a draft on them they should be ok. My older girls who are nearly 3 yrs old still have their night light.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  5. mnhomeschoolmom

mnhomeschoolmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2009
    MN
    Hi, my 10 chicks are about the same age and have been outside during the day for a few weeks now. We're in Mn, highs this week have been in the 40s, getting cooler. Their coop is a former greenhouse and can be much warmer during the daytime but they can't wait to get outside. They will choose the run (or free ranging if we open the gate) all morning and afternoon, just going inside for food/water or if something scares them. Airplanes mostly! [​IMG] During the night time hours they do have a heat lamp over the roosts.

The way I see it, they'll let me know if they're uncomfortable and I have seen no signs of any cold distress. They're as happy as can be. I really don't want to baby them too much. Winter can be brutal in MN and I want them acclimated sooner than later. [​IMG]

Blessings, Tracey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by