question about a blue crowns beak?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Jo77, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Jo77

Jo77 New Egg

Sep 23, 2010
    I brought home my baby yesterday. I noticed his lower mandible is already darkening and thought that wasnt suppose to happen until they were a bit older? I tried looking up pictures of babies on the web but have had no luck with good pictures having the age with them and its hard to guess...
    anyone have any site suggestions or experience with these babies? I'm sure just like with kids there is no exact age but was curious.
    thanks

2. ra

ra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    Congrates on the new baby! Sorry I don't know about those babies! You have a picture? I would love to see one!

3. bunnibird55

bunnibird55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Hi!
    Congratulations on getting one of the smartest conures around! I have four BCC females that I raised from eggs! They are all sisters, just several years apart. For the lower madible getting dark, it depends on the particular breeding usually, but I know my girls all developed dark lower beaks when they were still "toddlers" too! They can be very precocious and will try to get away with anything they can, but just work with your baby every day and he should give you many years of love! My oldest BC is Miss Bunni, 12 years, Miss Mozart, 10 years and Dolly Sue and Lucy Lu, eight years old. The two younger girls can be real terrorists around all my other birds! Make sure to keep his environment safe and give him lots of vegetables and BCC safe toys! Haha - they rip everything apart, who am I kidding?!!! Good luck and enjoy your little darling!

Mama to four Blue Crowns, two black cap conures, a half moon conure, a peach front conure, three lovebirds, two cockatiels and a lesser jardine, 14 buff cochin chickens, 28 New Hampshire red chickens, six pekin ducks, three kahki campbell ducks, two miniature horses, a hyperative yorkshire terrier, two black labs, one old border collie and a bunch of barn cats!

4. Jo77

Jo77 New Egg

Sep 23, 2010
    thank you! the new baby is fitting in wonderfully. He already learned to step up (properly now) almost has the hang of kisses, escaped once (secured the door much better now) and already lets me lay him on his back for belly kisses.
    I would love to post pics but to tell ya the truth I was confused when trying here earlier... do I need to up load into a photobucket type account and use one of the codes to paste into a message?

I cant imagine having 4 bbc! your house must be very busy lol!

5. Jo77

Jo77 New Egg

Sep 23, 2010
    think I figured out the pics using photobucket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. bunnibird55

bunnibird55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    NW Ohio
    He is just adorable! What is his name? Stepping up is a wonderful first! Sounds like he is going to have a fantastic home with you! BTW, they do love showers too! Mine like to go in with me - just make sure you keep toenails short or you will have lots of scratches! Of course one is easier to control in the shower at once. I once took seven birds in with me - what a mistake!
    Mine love any treats (that are safe). One of the favorites for my birds is scrambled eggs - no salt, no oil, just scramble in the micro-wave, cool and serve! Very healthy for them, just not more than a couple times a week!

7. ra

ra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    Very cute![​IMG]

8. Jo77

Jo77 New Egg

Sep 23, 2010
    thanks! I think he adorable myself lol! He is my first large(r) parrot and this is all new to me... & Thanks for the scrambled egg idea. My gcc goes in the shower with me just about every time. He doesnt always get wet but just the moisture is enough I guess. He takes a bath though almost everyday. I will soon start misting the BCC and getting him ready for a bath. I didnt want to over stimulate him since everything is so new still. He is trying so hard to talk it's hysterical. His eyes pin and you can tell how hard he is trying. Then you have my greenie who screams baby and peekaboo at him! They do make a household very interesting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by