Question about a broken egg in nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ubumartin, Oct 25, 2009.

1. ubumartin

ubumartin Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2009
    Raynham, Ma
    My girls just started laying. I have 3 buff orpingtons. Yesterday there was a broken egg in the nest box. It looked like there was still a lot there when I cleaned it out, but what will happen if they ate the egg? Will it become an issue or have some of you had this happen and then not have a problem with it? I have read that once they eat the eggs it is not good. I thought only one was laying so maybe it was a first egg from someone else and it wasn't as strong of a shell?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

As you said It might just be a broken egg. If the shells are fragile you will need to increase calcium intake.

If they are eating the eggs that's a different kind of problem. There are several things you can do break an egg eater. If that appears to be the problem please ask for advice.

good luck
    Imp

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

It could (and since they're just starting to lay, probably is) have been a thin shell that got broken accidently. Yes, it can become a problem, but it isn't automatically going to be just because it happened once, or occsionally. try to gather eggs early and often.. whoever ate it probably will forget if you can keep the eggs out of their way.

Some people say to keep the nests dark, hang a drape across the front to shadow them. It could help, but I don't do it, totally up to you if you think it's going to be a continious problem. This one sounds like a total accident though.

4. ubumartin

ubumartin Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2009
    Raynham, Ma
    I haven't had another broken egg since. I found one on the coop floor and it was unbroken. The chickens were in and out of the coop and no one bothered it. I am not sure if it was laid over the side of the nest box, but if it fell, it was not soft enough to break. Hopefully a one time event. Thanks for the tips.

5. Von

Von Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    We use kitty litter pans with the hoods for our nesting boxes - gives them privacy, they're big enough for them to easily move around in and they're easy to clean.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by