Question about a broody hen hatching eggs in a Canadian winter

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrstodd, Feb 23, 2014.

1. mrstodd

mrstodd Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2013
    I have a broody Buff Orpington hen that is currently sitting on 12 Brahma eggs. I know I should have asked this BEFORE I gave her the eggs, but I didn't think of it until now! There is at least a few feet of snow on the ground, but the coop is off the ground. I have been using the deep litter method so there is about two feet of pine shavings and straw. Its also fully insulated and has a 250w heat lamp above the roost when it gets to -20 Celsius or colder. The temperatures range from 0C to -25C with spring coming soon! My question is, will the eggs be ok while she is setting and will the chicks be ok to stay with mum after they are born?

Thank you for your help! This forum and its members have been invaluable to me!!

2. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Hello the mama hen will be able to keep the eggs warm enough but you would have to make sure the chicks arnt outside in the snow to much hope this helps and fingers crossed on your broody hen [​IMG] what day are you on?

3. mrstodd

May 4, 2013
    Hi! thank you for replying!

I am on 4 today, so still early yet! My buffs are not snow lovers. They absolutely refuse to step foot outside so I keep their door closed lol They are 8 months now. Do you think it will be warm enough? I would be more than happy to gather them up and raise them on my kitchen table in my homemade beooder like I did their mum and 5 other buffs! but I just really wanted to do things the natural way!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That is vicious weather isn’t it? But the answer to your question is that they will probably be OK.

There is no question that weather like that makes it more likely that something can go wrong. What could be a minor inconvenience in the spring or summer can be fatal in weather like that. But that doesn’t guarantee that something bad will happen. Bad things can happen in spring and summer too. There are always risks.

I can’t give you any guarantees one way or the other but I’d go for it. Just make sure the chicks can get out of the wind, keep the water thawed, and depending on the type of waterer you use, put rocks or something in it so the chicks “walk on water” instead of fall in and get wet if they hop up there.

Good luck!

5. chickencrazy999

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Oh thats great yes I am sure she will be ok

6. chickencrazy999

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    I have two Broodys at the moment [​IMG] but I have decided to wait and be patient and wait until spring for chicks so I am trying to break them seems to be working but the two hens are not very happy about being locked out from there coop my two hens are a silkie bantam and a brahma bantam

7. mrstodd

May 4, 2013
    thank you! Their water is definitely something to think about. The hens have a heated waterer, but the chicks wont have that!

I saw the signature in your link, Im going to look at your Bantams! This will be my first experience with Brahmas, full size lol I have 4 light, 4 buff and 4 dark eggs. I probably should have waited too... but I felt so bad for her! her hormones had taken over!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  8. chickencrazy999

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Yes yes Lol the things we do for our chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by