Question about a buff orpington rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by poultrylubber, Sep 19, 2012.

1. poultrylubber

poultrylubber Chillin' With My Peeps

This next spring I am thinking about getting some BO hens. I have heard that they are docile and friendly and wondered if the rooster is the same way. Also I was wondering if six hens would be enough for one rooster. Thanks[​IMG]

2. PeachygirlGA

PeachygirlGA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    I have a BO rooster and he is pretty calm I think as far as roosters go. HOWEVER, we had some visitors on Saturday and he attacked a little 3 year old girl. She came running up to the hens and he was just doing his job of protecting them. Her parents were not mad and she only had a small scratch. He has tried to jump at me a couple of times, but I just keep my eye on him and he will come eat out of my hand and be nice. He just has to see me as a food provider and not another rooster to compete with. He is very protective of his girls. He has 8. Started out with just 4 BO hens and they were adult when I got them so they won't let me pet them or pick up but they will eat out of my hand. Got 4 new hens, EE and RIR and he loves them! Just started mating with the 2 that are laying, but he doesn't seem to be hurting them at all.

3. poultrylubber

poultrylubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks. My mom says I cant have more than seven chickens but I want a rooster so that good to know. I know she would not be happy if I got an aggressive rooster. I am planing on getting at least three BO, one rooster and two hens, and four plymouth rock hens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by