1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about a fake rooster...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicabee19, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Let's say you live in town, have only hens and no rooster, and one of your hens is crowing.

What do you all think of getting a ceramic rooster to put out in the run, and a quiet recording of a rooster -- low enough so the hens can hear it, but not loud enough to bother the neighborhood???

Do you think this would actually TEACH the hens to crow and then you'd be stuck having to play the recording all the time to prevent them from doing it?

just a goofy thought I had early this morning while reading complaints about crowing hens... [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

If you have a hen that is crowing, you might want to check that bird again... LOL

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, a lawn ornament with sound probably won't change them. They'll probably need the pecking of the roo, the showing of food, the dancing and roo dominance a statue can't provide to get the idea.

If you wanted though, even a 2 lb bantie roo can put large standard girls in line so to say so maybe you could sneak in a bantam some how. I had a silkie roo keep a flock of about a dozen girls in line. He was about a quarter of their size.

4. cyrixlord

cyrixlord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Monroe, wa
    My girls can make some noise but its definately not crowing. they just sound like the standard mill

bock bock bock bock BAAWWWK

Usually there is a legitimate reason why they're doing this (scary big bird, or they lose sight of one another) so I check it out and make sure they're ok and give them chickenscratch to let them forget their worries.

the dogs have learned to come and check them out when they do this too. they make such good protectors of the girls!

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:If you don't have a roo the top hen can start acting like a roo. She will even stop laying.

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If you don't have a roo the top hen can start acting like a roo. She will even stop laying.

Ayup, that they do. I have a hen that crows, she has laid green eggs for 6 months (the other eggs are brown, until I got an EE) Needless to say, I have a bantam roo in the growings to put her back in the girls locker room...[​IMG]

7. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I think it would be an interesting experiment to place a recording of a rooster crowing to see how your girls react. I think you should try it and let us know.

8. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Quote:This is reassuring to me. I have five standard hens, one silkie hen and one silkie roo that are five weeks old (I feel relatively confident of their genders). I wanted a little roo, hoping for little crows, but I also wanted everything else a roo does. From day one, as two day old chicks, Boss Man has been bossy and looking out for everyone else. He has a special sound only he makes, when he is making sure everybody is in sight or in the coop at bedtime. He is a fine little fellow. Thanks Silkie chicken.

9. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    funny this post came up today because as i was letting the girls into the run this morning, i was shocked to see one of the hens jump on the back of another hen and act like mating. i was sure this was a hen - no crowing, looks the same as the other 2 austrolorps.??? maybe she/he has me fooled and is really a roo?

10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I know that! But if its a young one, it may very well be a rooster!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by