Question about a hen

jsdeslidingh

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Mountain City, TN

Ok, so I'm assuming she's an EE, but her eggs are dark brown...not as dark as a marans, but darker than my welsummers.
What's she crossed up on do you think? She's under an EE roo hatched from a medium blue egg, will that make her chicks lay green eggs or F1 olive? Or continue to be brown?

Once she lays one egg color, it will not change. If she lays brown eggs now, then they will always be brown. Some EEs do end up laying brown eggs. I'm not an expert with genetics but I do know that EEs can lay brown eggs.

I'm guessing you're saying EE based on that bit of beard and muffs? She could have some EE back a few generations, but the brown eggs and straight comb say she's not really an EE anymore. Brown eggs means she does not have any blue/green genes.

From the cross you say, you have a chance of getting a nice olive color egg. They should all be some shade of green, unless there's some weird recessive white shell genes hanging out in both her and the rooster

Once she lays one egg color, it will not change.  If she lays brown eggs now, then they will always be brown.  Some EEs do end up laying brown eggs.  I'm not an expert with genetics but I do know that EEs can lay brown eggs.  

I know "her" eggs won't change color....I was speculating on the color of her "offspring" eggs since she's under a blue egg EE roo.

Back
Top Bottom