1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about a hurt chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gilesf, Apr 11, 2012.

1. gilesf

gilesf New Egg

Apr 11, 2012
    I have week ago rhode island reds, 5 total. 4 are in great shape, one is obviously hurt, not putting any weight on one leg, The chick can move are hopping and using her wings and is same size as others, so she is eating and drinking. Should I put that chick in a seperate box? I have another heat lamp etc. its more whether to keep them together and possibly let the 4 healthy chicks run over the hurt one or seperate them, not sure if the lone chick will like being alone. Thanks for any input.

2. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    My grand-daughter steeped on my 3 wk old chicks leg and she would not put any weight on it for a couple of days and then slowly began to use it again and now after 2 more weeks it is fine. I was told they have many tendons in their legs and if it is not obviously broke and is still eating, drinking and pooping to let it be. That is what I did and it worked out for me but i am far from an expert. Good luck........

3. gilesf

gilesf New Egg

Apr 11, 2012
    Ok thanks for the advice:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by