question about a little giant from TSC

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jennings Gamefowl, Jun 21, 2009.

1. hi its me again with a question about the still air little giant i got from TSC... I ask a question yesterday and thanks to all that replied... but my question now is on the wire rack i have the temp meter and its reading 99 but the eggs dont feel all that warm though.... is everything alright....

2. Mrs. Glassman

Mrs. Glassman Songster

Apr 29, 2009
    Cedartown, Georgia
    99º doesn't feel as warm to the touch as you might think....Keep in mind that YOU are 98.5º. You wouldn't feel a huge difference.

3. roche477

roche477 Songster

May 15, 2009
    Malvern, Arkansas
    I don't feel much of a difference on my grate either. If you are running still air you want your temp to be 101-102 closer to 102. Forced air units should have a temp of 99.5.

Good luck!

4. NanaKat

NanaKat Crossing the Road

The temperature is warmer the closer you get to the heating unit.
    I have a 9200 Little Giant and use an auto egg turner with it.

I set my thermometer on a small cardboard jewelry gift box in the middle of the bator. This raised the thermometer to about even with the middle to top of the eggs and I get a better reading.
    If your thermometer is on the wire mesh, you are probaby within the correct temp range.

I have successfully hatched several clutches of chick and one hatch of turkey eggs.

Have another batch of turkey eggs in the bator right now and have posted a thread for advice4 on those wild rescued eggs.

5. Got5Chicks

Got5Chicks In the Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    New Mexico
    A still air unit should be set for closer to 102 Degress......
    99.5 is for a forced air unit~

Good Luck! [​IMG]

Quote:

6. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    I have a LG still air - got 24 eggs ready to hatch in it right now!
    I use 3 thermometers:
    1 on the "floor" of the 'bator... usually runs about 98 - 99
    1 on top of the eggs... usually reads about 102-103
    1 is a "probe" type... i put it at egg level in a kind of water wiggler (I incubate in cartons & lay it in an empty carton)... usually reads between 99.0 - 100.2
    I keep humidity between 50 - 60%
    Last 3 days up to 70%
    Works for me, but everyone's different. You will need to try a few things and see what works best for you.
    Also... I keep my LG in a room with No Drafts/Forced Air/AC/Heat. Its up on a little table - about waist high. And I hand-turn.
    Good Luck.

7. i had them at 99 would they be ok if i moved them to 102

8. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Quote:As long as the 102 is at the level of the Top of the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: