1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about a mottled houdan.... added a picture

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by menkot, Jun 1, 2007.

1. menkot

menkot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    My granny gave the kids chicks for Easter. They were all supposed to be silverlaced wynadotte pullets. Four were but one was a surprise. It is a mottled houdan. They were all hatched sometime in the week before Easter. How long do I have to wait to know if the surprise is a pullet or a cockerel? I have nothing to compare the poor ugly I mean beautiful thing to.

Anybody familiar enough with them to know and tell me what to look for?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

3. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    LOVE the hair-doo - do both the Hen and the Roo have the doo or is it just for the Roo?

4. menkot

menkot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    They all have the "do". [​IMG] I call it an Albert Einstein chicken because it really has the Albert do going on. Mine is more white than a lot of the pictures I found on the net. This picture is a few days old and it has changed looks some since then. For one thing, it now has more feathers in its do. This is just of its head. I was trying to get a close up of its comb for my mom. It does have the fifth toe. Maybe tomorrow I can get a better picture because its do has really feathered out in just a few days. It is WAY poofier now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by