1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about a recipe using sausage stuffing...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by sred98, Oct 21, 2009.

1. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I think I am going to use this recipe for my guinea, but I need help. We don't do "stuffing" here. It's dressing only! So...in this recipe, do I cook the sausage before I put it in the guinea? Or will it cook inside? Will it look done? How will I know the sausage is done?

Also, is there something I can substitute for the juniper berries? Will capers work?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but like I said, we don't stuff our birds here!

Oh, one other thing...on the port, is it assumed Ruby Port or is there another kind? I know we have Tawny and I think I have enough Ruby, but which one?

Here is the recipe:

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/528522

This is another one that is similar...maybe I should use this one? It looks easier, but I think the other one sounds better.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Roast-Guinea-Fowl-with-Brie-71909

Thanks!

Shelly

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it might be a good idea to brown it, because of the grease. You might have a greasy mess inside the bird? But, then on the other hand, the bread would soak it up . . .I didn't look at the recipe, guess I should, huh?

3. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    The UK recipe that you listed sounds like the sausage is not cooked before adding it to the other ingredients. But....all sausage recipes I have used have you cook the sausage first before adding it to the stuffing/dressing. Sausage dressing is my very, very favorite!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Juniper berries, when ground, are ??? .

I thought I knew, let me check first! BRB

Nope, I'm wrong, and still haven't found the answer! Sorry, jumped the gun there.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  5. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I thought it sounded like the meat should be browned, too. But, I've never made it, so I wasn't sure.

I don't know what to do about the juniper berries... [​IMG]

Thanks y'all!

Shelly

6. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    we always brown our sausage first .. juniper berries are what they make gin from.. sort of smells like a pine tree lol. if you like a martini then use the berries ..

7. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Juniper berries are used quite often in game recipes. In this recipe they are in the marinade prior to roasting the bird.

One other point, they have you put the stuffing in the bird and then marinade for 24 hours? That is a real no-no that safe cooking experts caution against here in the US. I would suggest that you make the stuffing after the bird has been in the marinade for the 24 hours. Then put the bird in the oven to bake immediately after stuffing it. If it were me, I would not stuff the bird at all, but put the stuffing in a greased baking dish to bake separately alongside the bird. I can't begin to imagine how rich that stuffing will be with the sausage AND the brie! Never heard of putting cheese in stuffing....just seems wrong somehow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by