Question About A Rir Roo ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by countrygirl911, Jun 24, 2010.

1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    Hi this is a pic of the 7 to 8 week old chicken i believe to be a roo

[​IMG]

My question is today when i went to let the chickens in the run i stod their a while and watched them and noticed a black feather growing on the chicken above on its tail feathers. The other day when i took this pic there was no black to be seen but this morning there was hes not crowing yet and he seems to be mean to the little ones i tried to put outside the other day but now i am going to wait a few weeks before atempting that again he atacked the smallest of the other 5. So I was wondering since i saw the black feather comming in on him tail feather can i now for sure but the cherry on top and finally say he is a rooster do hens have black feathers tail feathers to

2. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    will try to get another pic today

3. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Yup,that is a roo. As he gets older he is going to develope blacky-green tail feathers that make him studlirrific to the ladies

this is my RIR roo last summer at 9ish months old
    [​IMG]

notice the lovely dark tail feathers?Makes the ladies flock to him and preen him bc he is so pretty [​IMG]

4. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    you have a beautiful roo since my roo atacked the other chicken that is a little younger than him why did he do that we were trying to put the other 5 outside and he flocked to the one bird in the cage he left the rest alone ofcourse the one he flocked to was smaller than its suppose to be was he trying to let them know he is the dominate one will he hurt the other ones if i try to put them out again i have 6 week old EE and 5 week old black stars i tried to but outside a few days ago if i try again will he attack i have never had any experience with rooster before and have tons of questions he was suppose to be a girl but guess they sexed him wrong. Any advice on how to care for the rooster and to kepp him from hurting the other chickens i try to introduce to the flock will be greatly appreciated

5. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    yep... its a roo....
    here is my RIR, he is approx 6 mo in this pic
    [​IMG]

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    In Rhode Island Red the Male and the Female will/should have Black tails.
    The color of the R.I. Red is a Columbian Red so will see Black in the wings and in the tail also the hens should have some ticking at the ends of the hackle feathers..
    Rooster -
    [​IMG]
    Hen -
    [​IMG]
    Wing -
    [​IMG]

Chris

7. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    hy everyone for your advice now i just need a name for him i do not think sprinkles will do lol here are some updated pics i took today

[​IMG]

his tail feathers under neith where i saw the black feather

[​IMG]

more update pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Looks like a young rooster...

Chris

9. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    when will he crow and his tail feather turn color also how do you determine what the sadle feathers are i am new to this and i really do not know what to look for. thanks everyone for their help also when i decide to introduce the younger chicks again how can i keep him from pecking the littler ones its manly the smallest of the buch he picked on it is smaller than it is suppose to be for its age could he be atacking it becasue it is another roo

10. 1sttimer

1sttimer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2010
    what age do they start to crow??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by